Monday, January 31, 2011

French country armoire...recipe for glazing

For the longest time now I have suffered in a family room that I have not been happy with. I never really fully decorated it because we always had the intention of gutting and remodeling it. The house was built for weekenders originally so the insulation and windows are terrible. But, naturally we have not gotten around to it, and I know now it will be the last project on the list.

For Christmas Randy and I decided couches would be our gift to each other. They are coming on February 8th. So, I have decided to redecorate and finally feel comfortable in this room. For budget reasons, I won't be going to crazy. I'll just re-do things I can for a low cost. I have started with my TV stand. I originally painted it over 10 years ago. This awful color must have been in style then??? I hate it....Here it is:


The new couches are going to be a black leather, so I wanted the new color to compliment them. I painted them this bright blue.


Once it was completely dry, I wanted to give it a black glazed treatment. Did I mention a FREE black glazed treatment. I watered down some black paint for a simple, easy, and free glaze. When doing this treatment, work in sections. First I brushed "my glaze" on.


Then I would wipe the majority with a paper towel:


It was still a little to dark, so I took a damp paper towel and continued to wipe more giving it a look I was pleased with.

The final result came out just the way I wanted it to. The blue is a little darker than my pictures are showing.






Again, the before:


And the after:


Throughout the week, I will share my changed projects. I will have the room reveal February 8th or 9th once I have my new couches.



I'll be linking up to THESE fabulous parties....

15 comments:

  1. i love how it looks against the wall color! soooo much better! and ya gotta love watered down paint for glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that looks wonderful...great job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful. The glazing really sets it off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! It's so pretty now! Can't wait to see your new couches :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE IT! Is there anything you do that I don't love! NOT!
    It looks fantastic! Enjoy your room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lisa!

    This is a great piece! I'm always impressed with how fast you work. The glazing really makes the piece pop! Looks great! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks smashing Lisa, and a great glaze it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks GREAT ... Love that you created your own glaze! I need to have the guts to do that! :)

    Can't wait to see the rest of your projects ... And of course, the room reveal!

    -Lauren
    thepaintedcottageonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa! The armoire looks fabulous~ I can't wait to see the reveal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another wonderful transformation, Lisa! Even if there had been a bigger budget, the style of that piece was just too fab not to reuse it. It's amazing now.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to see the coaches you ordered. They are probably really nice. To bad you can't paint coaches.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

shinarmountaindesign@gmail.com