Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Checkerboard side table

I am still waiting for my new couches to arrive. They have been pushed off for the third time. I am not even going to go into that frustrating story. In the meantime, I am working on redecorating the family room. I knew I needed a side table to go next to my newly painted and reupholstered chair. I knew the exact size and style I wanted. Figured it would take months before the right thing came along. Well, Monday night I was in Goodwill and it was just sitting there! The perfect sidebu table...And what was even more perfect was the price. $3. Although it was ugly and I couldn't begin to fathom why the previous owner painted it the way they did, I still snatched it right up. Here are the repulsive before photos:




I decided to paint it the Benjamin Moore "French Beret" color I used in my bedroom makeover . I wanted to give it a little whimsy so I painted a checkerboard top on it. Hopefully we will use it. If not, it still looks good.



The checkerboard grid I painted was 16"x16" giving it two inch squares. For those of you that don't know, (I didn't until I googled it) there are 64 squares on a checkerboard. Each player gets 12 checkers for a total of 24. I hand painted the grid because I figured in the long run it would take me longer to tape it off. Besides, I hate perfect taped off lines on a shabby piece of furniture.




I think I am going to use bottle caps for the checkers, but if you have a better idea, please let me now. Remember, they have to stack when they are "kinged".

Come back tomorrow to see the display I will have on the table......

In addition, you are going to want to stop by and check out my amazing burlap pillow cover giveaway from Ru Piper Designs. Click HERE to enter.






I am partying at THESE amazing blogs....

12 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I love the look of checkerboard. You did a very good job free-hand. I'm not sure my lines would all be quite as perfect. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you only paid $3.00. You are very lucky! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that turned out perfectly! you couldn 't have picked a better table for that design! and the shelf below is perfect for holding a jar or bucket of checkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome... and tedious! I'm not sure I would've had the patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect table to do that on...I never would have thought of it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!!!
    Hey - I gave you the Versatile blogger award. Come to my blog to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love the checkerboard top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING ... love this idea! I hope you guys actually play! I used to be a "champ" in grade school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very cute! If I had a front porch I'd put it there and sip lemonade while playing checkers, one of my favorite childhood games (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way the lamp shade turned out! I might try this for my daughters room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really understand either why the previous owner painted it green. Maybe he thought it would look good green? You can't really complain though for three dollars that is a great price.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

shinarmountaindesign@gmail.com