Monday, February 7, 2011

Storage solution for counter clutter

I was in Goodwill the other day walking down the aisle of wooden household decor. If your Goodwill is like mine, the aisles are filled with rude people who just won't move over. I turned into the aisle and about 4 feet away was the coolest wall hanging storage piece. Of course the lady in front of me doesn't move over even with a polite excuse me. Then she picks the piece up. I freeze because I knew I wanted that piece. She holds it for a minute, looks it over, then sets it down...PHEW!! When she moves, I grab it. Not only do I instantly love it, but it has a low price tag of $4.

Here it is when I get it home.


Of course I know immediately that I am going to paint it. I removed the name plaques from the front because one is missing. I filled the holes with filler. I primed it with BIN because it had a shiny finish I didn't feel like sanding the finish off first. I gave it two coats of a funky green and distressed it. I painted numbers on the front for a whimsical touch.







In addition to this piece, I am going to get a little off subject. I wanted to share an art project my son RJ did in school. Something about it impressed me so much. It was just so unique. He created a profile picture of "someone" out of little tiny smiley face stickers. How he knew where to put each color to enable the features to come alive is beyond me. Of course I knew who the picture was of immediately. Can you tell who it is?




We just recently did his BEDROOM MAKEOVER. I am going to buy a frame for this and add it to his wall space.

And the last order of business today is the announcement of my lucky giveaway winner. The giveaway was from Mistflower Photo. The winner was Cassie from Primitive and Proper. Congratulations Cassie!



Linking to THESE fabulous parties....

26 comments:

  1. I LOVE your new organizer..it's perfect for all the little things that collect & pile up. The numbers are just perfect. The smiley face person looks like Lincoln..I really hope that I didn't just insult someone. Who is it? JenT

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL don't you hate that when that happens. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. And the art love it!!! so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCORE! That wood piece is awesome, I would have totally bought it too! WOW - that art piece is amazing. Definitely frame worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice little wood treasure you found,, like the way you painted and added the numbers. Love your sons artwork,, i was thinking Lincoln too??

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha,Goodwill full of rude people. Its so true. I would of wrestled her to the ground for it.Love the green colour I`ve just painted an old kitchen hutch in this green(or very similar)As far as your sons art work Ilove it,how unique with all the smiley faces.Its a great thing to frame kids artwork. I have some from elementary and still love looking at them.Happy Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're always crafting up a storm (:I love this storage solution, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful piece..it looks like it could have been purchased from PB or someplace like that :)
    You son's artwork is amazing! It would make my head hurt to figure that out..ha.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your GW find! And I agree, it's a heart-stopping moment when the slowpoke in front of you grabs exactly what you're waiting to pick up.

    Nice transformation of this piece!!

    Your son is very talented. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Great job RJ! And Lisa, although your new message centre is a wee bit shabby, it's also very chic! LOVE IT! Here's a little tip - when people get in your way, gently nudge them with your cart! xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was going to say lincoln, too! but i was at work and not fast enough! :) and love that storage rack in green! the numbers are the perfect touch to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man would i love to find something like that! paper is out of control in the craft area. what a great way to oraganize with easy access

    ReplyDelete
  12. I.am.so.jealous! I have been drooling over these organizers in Ballard Designs and Potter Barn FOREVER! I want them for my kids gazillion papers they bring home from school. Your son's picture is so creative...looks like Lincoln to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FANTASTIC GW find! what you did with it is just PERFECT! well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang woman-you got lucky and it looks great! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the organizer. Abe of course. Wow, that actually is amazing that he did that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank goodness you all said Lincoln....and of course that is the answer.. :)

    RJ would have gotten quite a complex if someone had guessed Bat Man or something...LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two great treasures! I love the story because I thought it was just me that thought those people were rude! Talent must run in the family because I love the smiley face picture the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great find and Abraham Lincoln!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First of that art of your sons is AMAZING!!! As for Goodwill, I had my worst shopping experience so far, a man would not stop following me around and telling me all these stores about stuff he sells. I finally had to hide behind a clothes rack. I try to be friendly to people but this was kinda scary!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH and how you saw beyond that ugly and make it something pretty... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. well at least it's only the people at Goodwill that are rude...it's every store here! I love the transformation! And I'm blown away by the picture of Lincoln, sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the art work. Really Amazing! Great find to!! Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did a good job, but your son's picture is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah that's perfect. It just may be a solution to the constant clutter on my countertop. I will be on the hunt for something similar. I love how you can make something that looks well like trash look like a fabulous accessory. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

shinarmountaindesign@gmail.com